Elderberry Syrup (the absolute best cold and flu remedy)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried elderberries*
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 knob of ginger, peeled (about a 1-inch piece)
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 cup honey (exchange with agave for vegan recipe)
1. Combine the water, elderberries and spices in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil.
2. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until the syrup reduces by about half.
3. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Set aside.
4. Fill a bottle with the honey. Using a sieve placed over a funnel, strain the syrup into the honey (or agave if using vegan recipe). Use a spoon to press against the berries, extracting as much of their juice as possible. Discard or compost the solids.
5. Place a lid on the bottle. Shake vigorously to fully combine the syrup with the honey.
6. Label the bottle and place it in the refrigerator. Use within several months.
* The dose for adults is 1–2 teaspoons daily and a 1/2 teaspoon for children. Do not give to infants under the age of one due to the minor threat of botulism exposure.
Recipe via Ashley English at DesignSponge
What a great recipe. I’m going to try this.👌
Had to share via one of my fabulous Tumblr Followers. Check out her site, if great😍👍👌
Im a Keen Lush Supporter»If you ever get the chance to visit one of their outlets.. OMG.. You are immediately drawn in. The smells are so inviting, the fizzing, popping and general lushness of this store is out of this world.
Have been a keen shopper and supporter for years. My baths are floral, my showers invigorating and my hands and feet, soft to the touch.Their products are true to their word, organic,clean,fresh and for all to use.
Visit your nearest store and start your collection, I promise you won’t leave without making at least one purchase.. if you do ‘your sense of smell is off and should seek immediate medical attention’.